In 2014, a coalition was formed to focus on the future of the Glenn Dale Hospital Historic District (“Site”). Members of the coalition included Councilmembers Todd M. Turner (4th District), Dannielle M. Glaros (3rd District), Andrea C. Harrison (5th District), several members of the Prince George’s County State House and Senate Delegations, staff from the Office of the County Executive and the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), the owner of the site.
The site is composed of 206 acres and is situated on the east and west sides of Glenn Dale Road (MD 953) and north of Annapolis Road (MD 450), in Glenn Dale, Maryland. Approximately 60 acres of the site form its developed core and the remaining acreage is being reserved for a future park. The core is improved with 25 structures, which supported the Glenn Dale Tuberculosis Hospital and Sanatorium from 1934 until 1982.
The site was acquired by the M-NCPPC in 1994. Prior to this acquisition, the Maryland legislature passed a law restricting development of the 60-acre core of the former hospital site to a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC). A CCRC is a retirement community that provides residents with a continuum of care beginning with independent living and progressing to assisted living, memory care, and nursing beds.
The Glenn Dale Hospital Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011 and to the Local Register of Historic Sites and Districts in 2014.