History

GLENN DALE HOSPITAL HISTORY

1934

The Glenn Dale Hospital opened on September 15, 1934 as a tuberculosis sanatorium. Through the middle of the 20th century the widely accepted cure for tuberculosis was extended bed rest, fresh air, a balanced diet, and isolation. 16 of the 23 buildings were completed between 1932 and 1939, designed by Washington, D.C.’s Municipal Architect Office under the supervision of the Municipal Architect, Nathan C. Wyeth. Upon opening, Glenn Dale was described by Surgeon General Thomas Parran, Jr. as “the most up-to-date and complete institution of its kind in the country.”

1960

New methods of treating tuberculosis allowed patients to stay in their homes rather than isolating them for long periods in a hospital setting. In January 1960 Glenn Dale was opened to persons with long-term and chronic illnesses other than tuberculosis.

1982

The campus was sighted as deficient and failed to pass fire and safety inspections. It was estimated that $20 million was needed to renovate the complex and bring it up to code. The hospital complex was closed in January 1982 without the $20 million ever being appropriated by the District government.

1995

The District Government sold the campus to the M-NCPPC. Prior to this acquisition, the Maryland legislature passed a law restricting development of the 60-acre core of the former hospital site to a continuing care retirement community (CCRC). Furthermore, it was determined that 150 acres must remain as parkland.

2011

The hospital was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in November 2011.

2014

Preservation Maryland placed the Glenn Dale Hospital on its list of threatened historic properties. The hospital was also added to the Local Register of Historic Sites and Districts.

2015

M-NCPPC engaged the Redevelopment Authority of Prince George’s County (RDA) to provide real estate advisory services to explore the feasibility of adaptive reuse of the site.

2016

A Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for the adaptive reuse of the Glenn Dale Hospital site was issued in March 2016 by the RDA on behalf of M-NCPPC. The RFQ opportunity was extensively publicized and promoted nationally by RDA and Preservation Maryland to senior housing developers, CCRC owners and operators, and development companies specializing in preservation and adaptive reuse of historic properties.

2017

The Alexander Company – a national leader in historic preservation and adaptive reuse, was selected to conduct studies to determine the feasibility of adaptively reusing the site as a CCRC. Collington Life Care Community will serve as a CCRC advisor to the team.

2018

The feasibility study has concluded, and the results are available for viewing under the presentations section of this page.